5 Pieces You Have to Have
I'm big into basics. I believe in having a streamlined closet full of only pieces that you actually wear. Getting rid of clothes gets me high -- I love it. I've learned over the years to only stock quality pieces that you'll wear over and over again. I've also learned to take care of my things so that they last for years to come. Here are 5 pieces I think every girl needs in her wardrobe:
1. Striped dress (or tee). Navy and white stripes will literally never go out of style. You can pair stripes with everything and they work year-round. Anything striped in my closet gets worn far too much.
2. A good jacket or coat. I love trenches and leather jackets, but it doesn't matter what style you choose. Pick a quality piece that may be a splurge (but well worth it). Coats and jackets go through quite a bit of wear and tear, especially if you live in a colder climate than San Francisco. Invest in the best and you'll get your money's worth, I promise.
3. Denim. I wear jeans probably 5 out of 7 days of the week (and the other 2 are leather pants or a skirt). Jeans are the perfect middle ground -- not too sloppy, not too formal, and you can wear them pretty much everywhere. Pick a wash you love (I stick to black jeans or a medium-wash) and get enough pairs to be able to wear them a few (if not more) times a week.
4. Oxfords. Even if you aren't preppy, oxfords can be thrown on over a tank top and left open for the perfect casual Saturday look. They can also be tucked into jeans, worn with a blazer for an interview or even with leggings to run errands. I love oxfords -- and I love how affordable they are at Old Navy right now!
5. Quality boots. Booties and ballet flats rival for the most popular items in my closet year round. I love a good heeled bootie (sometimes you need those extra 3 inches!) but nothing is better than classic black booties. You can tuck jeans into them, wear them with a flirty skirt or even a striped dress. They go with everything and work year round, at least in our climate.