Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Josh and I are really good about cooking at home. We've never been takeout fiends or addicted to eating at restaurants. Lately, we've gotten really into making homemade soups, particularly chicken noodle. It all started after Thanksgiving when we whipped up some turkey noodle soup with turkey leftovers and Trader Joe's turkey broth.
Lately, we've been picking up some quick ingredients at Trader Joe's to whip up homemade chicken noodle soup. All in all, it takes about an hour -- and we end up having enough for that night plus at least one or two tupperware containers for later. We typically refrigerate one and freeze the other -- that way, we can have one later on that week and save one for later on in the month when we're not in the mood to cook.
While I don't really follow a recipe, here's the closest thing to one. Bon appétit!
- 1 whole sweet onion
- 4 large carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 green onion stalks
- 2 containers of chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 lb. noodles (I use egg pappardelle noodles from Trader Joe's)
- Season the two chicken breasts with salt, pepper and olive oil. Wrap in tinfoil. Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Shred the chicken breasts using a fork and a sharp knife. You can also dice if you prefer! Set aside.
- Dice a whole onion (I prefer using sweet onions, but you can use a white onion, too!). Chop up the carrots, celery stalks and green onion. Throw all veggies into a large stew pot with 3 tbs. of butter. Simmer for 15 minutes until onions look clear. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pappardelle noodles. You can use whatever kind of noodles you'd like, but I love egg noodles -- and pappardelle noodles are easy to cut and are great in soup. Once the noodles have cooked, lay them on a cutting board and cut into bite-sized strips.
- Lastly, mix everything together. I pour the chicken broth into the stew pot, then I add the shredded chicken and the cut up noodles. Lastly, heat up the entire mixture for 5-10 minutes until all flavors are combined. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!