I've never been a morning person. I hate waking up early and even on work days, I cherish every minute I get to lay in bed in the morning. To make my mornings easier, I've developed some routines over the years that help me out. Here are some of my tips:
1. It's all about the nighttime routine. Until I graduated from college, I barely took my makeup off before bed. I was blessed with pretty great skin, so I never thought I had to take care of it. In the last year, I've learned how to work in products that make my nighttime routine easy (I'm in and out of the bathroom in 5 minutes before bed) but still do enough to take care of my skin for the long run. I've come to love Neutrogena makeup remover wipes, a good moisturizer and Sephora face masks for when my skin needs a little extra love.
2. Take your time in the morning. I know getting up 10-15 minutes early doesn't sound appealing to anyone (especially me), but it really makes the difference in the morning. Rushing around like a chicken with your head cut off starts your day off on the total wrong foot. Once you figure out how long it takes you to shower, get ready and get dressed, add on 10-15 minutes where you can lay in bed, check emails, sip on coffee or catch up with your sweetie or roommate. These 10-15 minutes give you enough time to start your day on the right foot.
3. Do what you can. Sometimes, I wake up and I'm not in the mood to do it all. Don't kick yourself if you don't have time to shower, pack a lunch for the day or tidy up the house before you leave -- it's more important to do what you can in the mornings than to do it all.
4. Do one thing in the mornings that makes you smile. I love being able to lay in bed with Josh for a bit before we start our undoubtedly hectic days. Whether it's spending extra time in bed, sipping on a cup of coffee while reading the paper or cleaning up your place so you feel organized for the day, do one thing in the morning that makes you smile.
5. Make your bed. Again, only if you have time, but I leave myself enough time in the morning to clean up our place. I like to have things organized in case anyone comes over after work for a drink, dinner or to hang out, but it also helps me start the day on the right foot.